Friday, August 21, 2009

Sad Lincoln

Well this past week I was in Lincoln, Nebraska. The place was really nice. The people were outgoing and very friendly and yes-they called ‘pop’ ‘pop’ which I always consider a bonus.

The downtown area was very clean and safe and I went walking every night after work. And the minute I got out of the airport when I arrived I couldn’t believe how fresh and clean their air was.

But the entire week Lincoln made me sad. When I go around the cities that I visit I like to dig into the history of the place. And every plaque that I read on the historic looking buildings said things like ‘This building was erected in 1843 when some company came into town’ etc. The buildings were cool but all it reminded me of was that the history of that whole area was that Europeans bowled through the area, killed or displaced the Native Americans and took over.

I know that it’s not the folks alive today who did that so there were no bad feelings there, but every time I looked over that beautiful area it made me really sad to think about the history that this area was based on.

No comments: