Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Great Soldier





My favorite soldier

Usually I hate sitting next to someone on a plane who insists on talking the whole time. This is usually my prime napping or reading time. Although I do get a lot of usage out of my Nintendo DS at 35,000 feet also.

But yesterday I sat next to a 21 year old girl with an ‘Army Strong’ T-Shirt on. Most of the plane in fact was military. Well she was telling me about life in the Military.

Apparently she joined the army three months ago. As soon as she got to Basic Training she was horrified. She proceeded to tell me that there were bugs in the barracks. And the mattresses weren’t nice, in fact they were quite used.

Not to mention that they had to wear those drab green camouflage outfits ALL THE TIME. And she even took off her shoe to show me the callous she had on her big toe from the uncomfortable boots they gave her.

And don’t even get her going on how early they expected them to wake up every day.

So after three months of Basic Training the Army decided that they needed to part ways, apparently she wasn’t Army material.

Unfortunately it was a quick 40 minute flight from Columbia SC to Atlanta GA. I was bummed when this great insight into her military career was over.



No comments: