Monday, August 24, 2009

Official Quaker NOT!!!

Well after all of the excitement waiting to become a Quaker, I met with the ‘Clearness Committee’ after Church on Sunday for a couple of hours. We talked about everything from pacifism to tolerance (I assume they weren’t going out on a limb and didn’t mean tolerance of people who don’t look like us cause that’s just crazy talk) (that was humor)….anyway we sat around a table in a little library-like room and ate fresh fruit and talked about the responsibilities of being a Quaker such working to make changes whether they’re small changes to improve a situation or working towards big changes and so on. It was a fine talk-nothing really heavy. Kind of like a bunch of old 1960’s era peaceniks who grew up but still covet the tie dye t-shirts and love beads. No weed though.

Although I did 'fess up to them that if I ever saw someone hurting one of my kids or something I would not hesitate to pick up a club and beat their brains out. So......pacifism unless someone is messing with one of my peeps.

Anyway the bummer was that I missed a step. Now they have to report back to the Membership Committee who approves me as a member. Wow, it was easier buying a house. So the third Sunday in September I’ll be an official Quaker. They already assured me I passed. So I guess I won’t have to start wearing my burkha until then.

2 comments:

LINDA said...

So, what step did you miss? Didn't they receive your essay? I would think that the essay alone would make up for anything you might have overlooked.

ModemMama said...

Oh I missed the part that I wasn't an official Quaker until they elected me in after the Meeting the third Sunday in September. I thought it was a done deal last week. Oh well, at least I passed the test.