Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Habitat for Humanity






Well, despite Jimmy Carter's 'out in the wild blue yonder' comments recently I still felt motivated to go help the Sysco Grand Rapid's team on a Habitat for Humanity project.



So I drove in on a Friday evening and cashed in some hotel points for a free room so I could be up and raring to go Saturday morning at 8:00 am in the rain.

The group of us stood outside while the supervisor went over the rules and how Habitat for Humanity works. Then they started whittling down the crowd by talent level.

First they asked who could paint and some people went off with the paint person. Then it was who could do woodwork and that narrowed the group a little more. After about fifteen minutes I was the only one left standing when my call came out! 'Who is totally inept and construction ability deprived' and I jumped up and down shouting 'It's me it's me!!!'. So I got to follow around someone who was drilling holes in walls and then I put some plastic thing in the holes. I don't know if this was really something they needed to do or if they felt obligated to find busy work for me-but it was OK and I felt like I did something.

Next time I'll have to look for volunteer opportunities more my type. I'm still afraid that then the people move in the house might fall down due to the plastic things being put in the holes wrong.

1 comment:

LINDA said...

Don't underestimate yourself - I'm sure that your insertion of plastic things into holes was the most important part of the whole project.