Friday, May 6, 2011

…please keep in mind that this day off came after a major two day migraine bender

As usual lately Jenna was up and ready before me. I was moving slowly with the lingering remnants of a migraine that had left me whooped.

As we were leaving, I noticed the trash can was getting over the top so I had Jenna carry it down to the car. I put it on the trunk of the car so I could haul it to the dumpster on the way out.

We pulled out of the garage, crossed the street to McDonalds where I had promised Jenna she could get the Big Breakfast. Then I noticed the garbage still on the trunk. With a quick U-Turn (legal everywhere here in Texas) we crossed back over Briar Forest and up to the gate of the apartment. However that particular side gate doesn’t always open.

So there I am with the garbage bag in my hand, trying desperately to open the gate with the code or the key fob. Neither worked so I tried pulling the gate open enough to squeeze through to get to the dumpster on the other side. Finally it pulled open just enough for me to pop through which I did but then the garbage bag slipped out of my hand and was now on the other side of the locked gate which still wouldn’t open.


By now Jenna of course is sitting in the car cracking up.

Finally I pushed and pulled enough to squish the garbage bag through, put it in the dumpster, squeezed back through the gate and took off to take Jenna to McDonalds. Except that in my effort to get the gate open with the car, I had gotten too close to the pole with the key pad on it and I scraped a huge dent in the side of my car on that.

Finally at McDonalds I bought a large iced tea which I flipped over on its side while I tried putting the straw in.

That was literally the ‘final straw’. As soon as we got back in the car I called my boss and said I wasn’t coming in…….I clearly needed a day off.


1 comment:

LINDA said...

Wow, you drove that far and the garbage didn't fall off your trunk? Impressive! Good idea to just take the day off work. You have put in way too many hours lately anyway.